Terms and conditions of entry
The Australian Science Fiction Foundation instituted this important juried award to commemorate Norma Kathleen Hemming (1928-1960), a pioneer Australian feminist science fiction and romance writer who was active in the 1950s.
The award is given to mark excellence in the exploration of themes of race, gender, sexuality, class or disability in speculative fiction writing.
The following forms of speculative fiction (ie: science fiction, fantasy and horror and the various sub-genres within) published for the first time in 2019 are eligible for nomination:
- Short Story: up to 17,500 words
- Novella: 17,501 to 40,000 words
- Novel: over 40,001 words
- Collection by an individual author
- Anthology (at least one editor must be an Australian citizen/resident, with at least 25% of the stories included in the anthology also being by Australian creators)
- Graphic Novel (at least one writer or illustrator must be an Australian citizen/resident)
- Stage Play Script (details of performance must be included with entry).
Entries open February 2020 and close Saturday 29 February 2020.
Contact the Awards Administrator at email@example.com
- Entry is open to all Australian citizens and residents.
- Each entrant may submit as many entries as they choose.
- Entry is free of charge.
- To be eligible for the award an entry must be:
- a work of speculative fiction;
- display excellence in the exploration of themes of race, gender, sexuality, class or disability;
- meet the word count requirements;
- meet the Australian citizen / resident criteria for individual or co-created works; and,
- be first published or performed in the calendar year of 2019.
- For graphic stories and serialised material, a work may be eligible if:
- it has never in part or in whole previously been entered in the award; and either,
- is a serial or story arc of work that extends outside the eligible entry period, but concludes during 2019; or,
- is published in compiled form (a single volume) for the first time during this time.
- Unpublished works are ineligible.
- The jurors will not consider entries deemed not to meet the thematic criteria.
- Entries received after the closing date will not be considered.
- The jurors may, at their discretion, publish a shortlist.
- One award for short fiction (up to 17,500 words) and one award for long work (novellas, novels, collections, anthologies, graphic novels and play scripts) will be given.
- The award will be in the form of a citation and monetary amount.
- The monetary award will be provided in the name of the primary creator of the work, at the discretion of the award administrator.
- By entering this award, entrants consent to having the title and description of their work, including creator details, reproduced for the purposes of announcing the award and distribution for educational and promotional purposes.
- Entries must be submitted via the online Entry Form.
- Entered work may be submitted to the jurors in digital or print form. A copy must also be provided to the award administrator.
- All submitted work must be original and all entrants must agree that their entries do not contain any material that infringes the rights of another person or organisation.
- The award committee reserves the right not to offer an award if, in its reasonable opinion on advice from the jurors, no entry is received that is of an acceptable standard to warrant award.
- The decision of the judges in relation to any aspect of the award is final and no correspondence will be entered into.